THE ORMISTON SHIELD
The SCTBF placed Collecting Boxes in cinemas and renters offices throughout Scotland for the use of the staff. In order to 'encourage greater interest in the contributions through these Boxes' a Shield was presented in 1934 by Fund's President Mr Thomas Ormiston - 'for Competition.' A large handsome silver trophy it was awarded annually to the cinema whose staff collecting box showed the highest percentage increase over the year.
First awarded in 1935 the Shield was in competition for over fifty years.
Thomas Ormiston was a key figure in the founding of and the success of the SCTBF.
Motherwell born, he was a solicitor by profession, entering the cinema trade in 1911 with the opening of the Picture Theatre Bellshill. He built up one of the largest independent circuits in Scotland in the post war era, with 22 cinemas at its peak, and booked the films for all his cinemas. He enjoyed a parallel career as a renter, running Jury's Pictures (Scotland) Ltd, with offices in Dixon Street Glasgow when they were established in 1915, and becoming a founder member and later Chairman of the Scottish Film Renters Association. He served two terms as President of the Scottish Branch of the Cinematograph Exhibitors Association and in 1925 was elected President of the CEA of GB. He is credited as the architect of the report that recommended introduction of a quota system to get British films on screen, in order to support an ailing film industry, a report that ultimately formed the basis of the infamous 'Quota Act' aka the Cinematograph Films Act 1927.
In a fulsome obituary in Kine Weekly (21 January 1937) for Thomas Ormiston, his friend and industry colleague Bert Green declared that 'nearest and dearest to his heart was his work for the Scottish Cinema Trade Benevolent Fund which since its inception has raised over £40,000.'
A founder member of the Fund in 1917 and its President for over 20 years, it was in this context that Ormiston gifted the silver Shield to the Fund.
In 2014 the Shield was donated by the fund to the cinema collection at Summerlee Museum in Coatbridge.
Winners of the Ormiston Shield:
1934 Coliseum Glasgow 1961 Regal Dunfermline
1935 Hippodrome Bo'ness 1962 Regal Dunfermline
1936 Alhambra Dunfermline 1963 Regal Dunfermline
1937 Elder Govan 1964 Playhouse Ayr
1938 Alhambra Dunfermline 1965 Playhouse Ayr
1939 Plaza Govan 1966 Playhouse Dundee
1940 Princes Springburn 1967 Dominion Edinburgh
1941 Princes Springburn 1968 La Scala Edinburgh
1942 Princes Springburn 1969 Odeon Coatbridge
1943 Regal Shotts 1970 Odeon Coatbridge
1944 Grosvenor Glasgow 1971 Odeon Film Centre Glasgow
1945 Grosvenor Glasgow 1972 Odeon Film Centre Glasgow
1946 Grosvenor Glasgow 1973 La Scala Glasgow
1947 Grosvenor Glasgow 1974 La Scala Glasgow
1948 Tudor Giffnock 1975 La Scala Glasgow
1949 Tudor Giffnock 1976 La Scala Helensburgh
1950 Tudor Giffnock 1977 Odeon Film Centre Glasgow
1951 Tudor Giffnock 1978 Odeon Film Centre Glasgow
1952 Tudor Giffnock 1979 County Cinema Cumbernauld
1953 Tudor Giffnock 1980 County Cinema Cumbernauld
1954 Synod Hall Edinburgh 1981 County Cinema Cumbernauld
1955 Wellington Palace Glasgow 1982 Regal Saltcoats
1956 Synod Hall Edinburgh 1983 Salon Hillhead
1957 Synod Hall Edinburgh 1984 Regal Saltcoats
1958 Synod Hall Edinburgh 1985 Regal Saltcoats
1959 Picture House Mosspark 1986 Glasgow Film Theatre
1960 Regal Dunfermline 1987 Glasgow Film Theatre